Just a cup of Tea

Take a sip and enjoy

The Lady Eve – 9/9/11

Filed under: Uncategorized — glennis at 10:16 pm on Saturday, September 10, 2011

Have to say first of all that when I left the class after watching this I had a british accent that drove my mother insane. LOVED IT! Simply loved this film it’s so quirky and delightfully charming! First film in class to start with a woman, and far from what I expected to see with the 1930’s views of women. I’ve already been insopired to create a character for my comic that would represent Jean, her personality is so refreshing.

One of the things that added to the whimsical nature of this film was the various representations used to sybolize the story of Adam and Eve. We all know it right? Bad snake, tricks girl to eat apple, girl tricks guy to eat apple, they’re bad now.

I thought the apple in the second scene was a cute way to start a connection between the two love birds of the flick. Especially with Charles clueless gunk expression, priceless. Though I can’t help but wonder why they didn’t involve the references of apple more. Maybe have her eat them in her bed room or something. Just seems like it could have been featured more.
The snake references are unlimited in this film, can’t help but wonder when the slithering creep will appear in the next scene. And the rattle snake in the beginning sequence, talk about freaky. I don’t know why but that hand at the end of his tail was weird. The guy comes back from an exhibition looking for a rare snake, he reads a book about snakes, he owns a snake, come on! Obsessing much! And on top of that what furiated me the most was that pointless scene with the escaped scene coiled in that butler’s leg? The could have at least had that snake stick around for dinner and have Mugsy chase after it or even Jean freak out. Pointless scene is pointless.

As for Adam and Eve; come on its obvious. Charles and Jean. Charles was the oh so gullible type, who even fell for that lame twin excuse when trying to figure out if Jean was Eve. Jean on the other hand is the perfect example of Eve, the temptress. The way she toys with Charles endlessly, even getting him to marry her is exactly the type of power I picture Eve with Adam. Like the great Mugsy would say, “They’re the same dame.”

-On another note to save posts (AND TREES!)
I’ve been stuck with this song now…thanks…thanks alot. Been singing it and tap dancing all the way to Brooklyn to this song…this is exactly how I sounded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTrkGyq3Ym0

2

glennis

September 10, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

First post! Whooooohooooohohoohohohoho….I have no life.

3

zoetorres

September 21, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Y’know, the whole main character being a women thing didn’t even occur to me until I read your post. I’m not entirely sure what this says about me.
Anyway, I’m with you on the whole apples barely showing up in this movie thing. I mean, come on, if a movie’s title is Lady Eve, you kinda expect more than a quick reference to apples. I expected them to be all over this movie. The snake was in the movie more.
And I felt that the snake didn’t really have purpose because the snake just kinda existed and added nothing to the plot. It makes the think the film makers were just like, “Look at all this Adam&Eve references! A snake! An apple! A boat to represent Eden! We’re so clever!”
Lastly, go you for your first post!

4

Amy Herzog

September 23, 2011 @ 12:31 am

A belated reply, but if you left class speaking in a cock-eyed British accent, singing “I’ve Only Got Eyes For You,” I think my job as an instructor is done.

Wonderful posts– thanks!

6

jessica18

October 20, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

I enjoyed this movie as well! And you’re right, it was the first film in class that had a woman as a main character. And Barbara Stanwyck is such a great actress! It did have a lot of symbolism to the story of Adam and Eve. Guess that’s why the movie was called “The Lady Eve”. I liked the fact that it was an apple that began the connection between Jean and Charles.

I liked your comparison between Adam & Eve and Jean & Charles. Very true comparison!

7

Pawel Forfa

October 21, 2011 @ 1:04 am

The reference to Adam and Eve. I didn’t even catch that but now that you mention it I remember Jean saying her quote that not all good girls are good and not all bad girls are bad. That’s interesting when you put those two to the story. Maybe them eating the apple off the tree wasn’t such a bad thing. The two of them meeting was a great thing when you compare that to sin. Great movie, I like the fact that you brought up the story of original sin, it really fits with this movie and its characters.

8

marvinb1228

October 21, 2011 @ 3:56 am

I like the whole Adam & Eve story comparison to what happened between Charles and Jean. I understood the Apple reference to the Garden of Eden story but I didn’t realize till now that the actions and personalities of the characters in the movie really did coincide with Adam & Eve’s in the tempatation.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.